Go Back   RGN - Reliable Global News > RGN News, Reviews & Editorials > Site Discussion

Site Discussion Have a problem? Need Help? Make a Comment? Go for it!

Windows 10 is Here!
Old 08-09-2015
Site Owner - Administrator

RFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to behold
Default Windows 10 is Here!

FYI..............

I have upgraded from Win7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro on all our machines. Taking full advantage of the FREE upgrade offer, (got the little white icon in the bottom right of the task bar), we are now running 10..

After waiting a day or two, the notice popped up offering to upgrade to Win10. After taking the plunge on my game machine... saw everything went smoothly, the decision was made to do my other machines.

I recommend the upgrade.... as far as going from Win7 to 10. I have no experience for 8 or 8.1.

I lost nothing... all apps work well - in fact, some run better. 10 boots much faster too.

Windows 10 is good.

Questions??

Regards,

Old 08-09-2015
Lieutenant General (Moderator)

[3rdArmy]CW-4 is a truly talented, fearless leader

Win 10 installed just fine on two of my systems, but the third one had some problems. After a bit of research I came across this...

Fix for the 80240020 error when trying to install Windows 10 (self.windows)

submitted 8 days ago * by Losemindx4

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. (If you're unable to complete this step, look at "edit 5" down below)
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

EDIT: For those who still have issues, several users reported that setting their time forward (to the First of August for example) and then doing the above steps again helped them resolve the issue.

EDIT 2: If none of the above works, you can try to download Windows 10 from Microsoft's website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 . Just be cautious that you want to do an upgrade, not a clean install! If you do a clean install, Windows 10 will not activate. You would need a new product key for that. But if you do an upgrade, your product key from Win 7/8/8.1 will carry over to your Win 10. Once you've completed the upgrade and checked that Windows is activated, you can do a clean reinstall if necessary.

EDIT 3: Another possible fix from Microsoft themselves but requires you to tamper with registry keys: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1a7bb51?auth=1 (thanks /u/ritoman)

EDIT 4: Microsoft support is endorsing this as an official fix! Now, ain't that an accomplishment? https://twitter.com/WindowsSupport/s...61440568872960 (thanks /u/RxBrad) Thanks for all the gold and kind words, guys!

EDIT 5: If you're unable to delete the contents of the folder due to them being in use, try the following:
1. Open the folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download"
2. Run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "net stop wuauserv". You should see a message indicating that the Windows Update service has been stopped.
3. Now, go back to the folder and now you should be able to delete all its contents.
4. Go back to the command prompt and this time, type in "net start wuauserv". This time, the message will tell you the Windows Update service has been started.
5. Go back to step 2 in the original post.

Source for the fix_for_the_80240020_error_when_trying_to_install/

Downloading the upgrade now and we'll see how it goes. Better not screw up the machine as it's my wife's laptop. But I did do a full backup first just to cover my ass.

"We've made many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space
and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line
must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

~ Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D).

Old 08-09-2015

Twrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of light

How's the GUI?

That's one thing I couldn't stand about Win8.

Do I need to reinstall my progs/apps?

What are the benefits of 10 over 7?

Old 08-10-2015

RFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to behold

@ CW4... Nice job keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrecks View Post
How's the GUI?

That's one thing I couldn't stand about Win8.

Do I need to reinstall my progs/apps?

What are the benefits of 10 over 7?
  1. The GUI is nice. Very pleasant. Works fine for me.
  2. No re-installs needed that I noticed.
  3. Too soon to know all but I have noticed its much faster. And... better looking.

Honestly? I like it. Many Win7 features are enhanced.

ps; you can "fall back" if unhappy. You won't though.

Regards,

Old 08-10-2015

The method that I posted does indeed restart the download of Win 10 in your Windows update. Or if you prefer you can go here to get the Media Creation tool.

This "tool" will let install or reinstall Windows 10 after you create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD. Also after you do get Win10 installed I suggest that you use something like Belarc Advisor to grab the Win10 key, and other keys, off your system. Would be a good ideal to run Belarc even before you do the upgrade and get your keys just in case something goes very wrong. But as I tell all my friends you are only as safe as your last backup.

and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line

Old 08-12-2015

OK, now its two weeks;

Windows 10 is still, for me trouble free and IE Edge is dandy. Sure it needs further enhancement but for now, its everything I want so far. It needs provisions for extensions.

I am using IE Edge with good successes - It can only get better.

I recommend that folks upgrade. Hey! Its freebie.. don't miss out.

CW4 How are you doing with that laptop install situation??

Regards,

Old 08-12-2015

The laptop installed fine once I deleted the old install files. I think that the problem was caused by my wife shutting down the machine before it finished the download and something got corrupted somewhere. Problem could have also been that she was running her Toshiba in the "ECO" battery saving mode too. Change that to max power setting before installing.

The wife likes it saying that her laptop is running better but that also could be that I did some cleaning on it before putting in Win10.

Old 08-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by [3rdArmy]CW-4 View Post
The laptop installed fine once I deleted the old install files. I think that the problem was caused by my wife shutting down the machine before it finished the download and something got corrupted somewhere. Problem could have also been that she was running her Toshiba in the "ECO" battery saving mode too. Change that to max power setting before installing.

The wife likes it saying that her laptop is running better but that also could be that I did some cleaning on it before putting in Win10.
Be advised....

She's right!! My machines are running better than ever. I'm using the new IE Edge and loving it.

Windows 10 is the "Bees Knees".

I'm glad all worked out ok for you.

Regards,

Too much!
Old 08-14-2015
V.I.P.

Kerflumoxed is a truly talented, fearless leader
Default Too much!

Once again, I am foiled in my attempt to download "10" and, as I suspected, I am the victim of the 8007002C-3000D error! Then, I remembered, RGN members had already encountered this problem and had an easy, effective solution to the problem! WRONG! Effective, yes......easy, no. So, as a mentally defective owner of a computer with no computer knowledge, I am sitting here with an incomplete "10". Oh, well, "7" has been working well. LOL

Jack

"Just do what's right!" UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden (October 14, 1910 June 4, 2010)
In other words, DON'T CHEAT!

Old 08-14-2015

That error code......

Is being referenced as we speak. MS is aware. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

MS
Old 08-14-2015
V.I.P.

Default MS

I did get the download opened and deleted all 8 items. But where is the "command prompt" and where do I type in etc.

Jack

PS In TeamSpeak.

"Just do what's right!" UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden (October 14, 1910 June 4, 2010)

Old 08-14-2015

Command prompt is found in the windows accessories folder. In Windows 10, its in the Windows System folder.

Regards,

Old 08-14-2015

If you are having problem getting Win 10 from the Windows update go Here to download the Windows Media Creation Tool. You can also make a ISO and burn a dvd or make a bootable USB stick that will allow you to upgrade more than one computer. Just make sure that you "Upgrade" rather that do a clean install. The advantage of having Windows 10 on a DVD or USB is that if you ever have to re-install due to a complete hard drive failure all you do is do a clean install and skip over putting in a serial number. Once you get 10 up and running MS holds your activation code, which is tied to your hardware, so activation is simple. However if you do major changes at once, say a motherboard, cpu and video card upgrade, just like Win7, MS won't like you and no activation.

Old 08-22-2015

Win10 Pro Report Card:

Windows 10 Pro... that's what I have on my machines. They all upgraded smoothly.

My main machine is used for all my grafx work, general use and of course, site maintenance. Needless to say, this machine is working flawlessly. I use Chrome, Firefox and EDGE - none have posed any trubs. Chrome is still my favorite.

My game machine... is faster, more sure footed and all my games are working for me. As for those poor folks having trubs, remember the past experiences. We all waited for tardy (read lackadaisical) developers to catch up. I had none of that.

My experiences with Win10 Pro have been nothing short of sheer pleasure and surprise (I expected trubs).

Regards,

Old 08-22-2015

Twrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of lightTwrecks is a glorious beacon of light

Still not convinced the "upgrade" is all that.

Most of the new features I have no use for, and can't see have more RAM and CPU usage eaten up for what I consider ATM to be bloatware.

If anyone has benchmarks for software such as Solidworks, 3dsMax, Ued, or Photoshop, I'd be interested to see. As much of my work is RAM and CPU intensive.

Old 08-22-2015

Quote:
Still not convinced the "upgrade" is all that.

Most of the new features I have no use for, and can't see have more RAM and CPU usage eaten up for what I consider ATM to be bloatware.

If anyone has benchmarks for software such as Solidworks, 3dsMax, Ued, or Photoshop, I'd be interested to see. As much of my work is RAM and CPU intensive.

Less RAM is used since Win10 is a Service. I use PShop 100% of the time. For all my grfx work. Its faster and just as reliable as it was with 7. As for the new features, you can turn them off.

Task Manager is far more informative ..which leads to your questions will be answered using it.

ps; you'll like the answers.

Regards,

Old 08-22-2015

There is no rush to upgrade to 10 right now. If 7 or 8 is doing what you want, stay with them for a bit, you have until next July to decide if you want the "free" upgrade. Or you can give it a shot and if you "no likie GI" you have a month to roll it back to your old OS with just a few clicks.

Old 08-22-2015

Thanks CW-4,

I researched the versions of software I'm running. Solidworks 2014 is not supported by W10, I'd have to buy 2015 and roll to SP4. Max2011 has graphical issues with W10, again I can would need to buy the latest version.
So "free upgrade" would be far from the truth ATM.

On the bright side, reports are that Adobe products (even older versions) work well with 10.

Old 08-23-2015

Quote:
Thanks CW-4,

I researched the versions of software I'm running. Solidworks 2014 is not supported by W10, I'd have to buy 2015 and roll to SP4. Max2011 has graphical issues with W10, again I can would need to buy the latest version.
So "free upgrade" would be far from the truth ATM.

On the bright side, reports are that Adobe products (even older versions) work well with 10.
Adobe products do work well and I'm saddened that you have to upgrade those other wares.

All the other wares I have also work perfectly.

Perhaps its time to look for those updates.

Regards,

10 or ???
Old 1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Default 10 or ???

I tried to update to 10 when my hard-drive crashed and thought it had worked. Then I kept getting "Update" emails from Micro-Soft. Everytime I tried to update, would eventually receive a message that it couldn't be done.

Finally, called Micro and they spent a day trying to install but no go. Said my system was not able to handle 10 and they suggested I go to 8.1, which I did. Works fine but can't help wonder why I couldn't install 10. Now, am only concerned about gaming.

Jack H.

Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

BritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to all

Sounds like your processer or RAM is not capable to me. Of course, I could be wrong, or is your hard drive full?

Old 1 Week Ago

Sounds like ... not enough Hard Drive space.

Regards,

Data
Old 1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Default Data

Not sure if this is the data you guys are wondering about, but:

AMD Phenom IIX4 965 Processor 340 GHz; 8GB installed RAM; 163 TB Available of 1.81 TB.

Does that sound right?

Thanks

Jack

Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

BritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to allBritishBulldog1 is a name known to all

Here are the minimum specs for Win 10

Microsoft lists the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements as:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
  • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS.
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
  • Display: 800x600.
Could the problem be the graphics card?
Have you partitioned your HD, if so, how large is the partition that runs windows? (If this was a problem, I would have thought Windows would flag it and increase the size automatically.)