LordAlfred's Museum Trip
Our member Freddy, went to a museum and snapped these fotos for us....
The 8 inch Gun M-1 was a 203 mm towed heavy gun developed in the United States.
It was used by the US Army and the British Army in World War II.
The Ordnance QF 95-mm Howitzer was a British Howitzer built in two versions during
Serious development began in June 1940 of an 8-inch (200 mm) gun that would have a range of 33,500 yards (30,600 m), a road speed of 25 mph (40 km/h), be transported in 2 loads weighing no more than 44,000 lb (20,000 kg) and be suitable for rail movement. Use of the carriage of the 240 mm howitzer M1 eased development, but the gun was very troublesome and wasn't standardized until January 1944. The main problems were excessive bore wear and poor accuracy, but it was felt that nothing better could be produced in a timely manner. Thus it entered production at a low rate and in small numbers.
Like the 240 mm howitzer, it was mounted on a stretched Heavy Tank T26E3 chassis that had an extra bogie wheel per side as the 8in Gun Motor Carriage T93, but the war ended before they could be used and were later scrapped.
the Second World War. The Tank Howitzer version was accepted for service use
but an Infantry Howitzer version was not accepted for service use.
The Ordnance QF 95-mm Tank Howitzer was designed to be fitted to British tanks so they could fire a HE or HESH shell against concrete targets like pillboxes in the "close support" of infantry. The 95mm howitzer used fixed ammunition with a 25 lb (11 kg) projectile, rather than separate charge and round common for artillery howitzers. The Tank Howitzer was used to arm the Churchill Mark V and VIII, the Cromwell VI & VIII and the Centaur IV tanks. The Ordnance QF 95 mm Howitzer was built up from a section of a 3.7-inch anti-aircraft gun barrel, the breech mechanism of the Ordnance QF 25 pounder field gun/howitzer and the recoil mechanism of the Ordnance QF 6 pounder anti-tank gun. The Tank Howitzer version was also fitted with a large counterweight at the end of the barrel to help balance the gun.
The Biber (German for "beaver") was a German midget submarine of the Second World War.
Armed with two externally mounted 21-inch (53 cm) torpedoes or mines, they were
intended to attack coastal shipping. They were the smallest submarines in the Kriegsmarine.
The Biber was hastily developed to help meet the threat of an Allied invasion of Europe. This resulted in basic technical flaws that, combined with the inadequate training of their operators, meant they never posed a real threat to Allied shipping, despite 324 submarines being delivered. One of the class's few successes was the sinking of the cargo ship Alan A. Dale.
Panther Tank - Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf. A (SdKfz 267)
A number have survived in museums including one example that has been restored to operational condition.
The Panther Tank served in World War II from mid-1943 to the end of the European war in 1945. With the unexpected design of the Soviet T-34, all existing German armored vehicle designs became obsolete and being replaced literally overnight. Among the features of the Panther's excellent combination of firepower, mobility, and protection which served as a benchmark for other nations' late war and immediate post-war tank designs and it is known as the best tank design of World War II.
The 25pdr SP, tracked, Sexton was a self-propelled artillery vehicle of World War II.
The 25pdr SP, tracked, Sexton was a self-propelled artillery vehicle of World War II, based on an American tank hull design, built by Canada for the British Army, and associated Commonwealth forces, and some of the other Allies.
It was developed to give the British Army a mobile artillery gun using their Ordnance QF 25 pounder gun-howitzer. From 1943 it replaced the US built M7 Priest (US 105 mm guns on a M3 Lee tank chassis); these had replaced the British Bishop (25 pdr on Valentine tank chassis) which had been a temporary solution in 1942.
Many thanks for these fine pictures....