Go Back   RGN - Reliable Global News > RGN World News > Middle East > Egypt

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Egypt Mosque Attack Leaves At Least 230 Dead, 120 Wounded
  #1  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
RFMariano's Avatar
RFMariano RFMariano is offline
Site Owner - Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida, USA
Age: 75
Posts: 13,487
Rep Power: 187
RFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to beholdRFMariano is a splendid one to behold
Default Egypt Mosque Attack Leaves At Least 230 Dead, 120 Wounded






Egypt Mosque Attack Leaves At Least 230 Dead, 120 Wounded





An attack on a mosque in Egypt has left dozens dead and at least 75 injured.
(Reuters)

By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News - 1 Hour Ago

Islamist militants are suspected of orchestrating the attack on a Sufi mosque in Egypt’s volatile Sinai Peninsula on Friday, killing at least 230 people and injuring at least 120 others, Egyptian media reported.

The extremists launched an attack on the al-Rawdah mosque in the town of Bir al-Abd, some 25 miles from the North Sinai provincial capital of el-Arish, Egypt's state news agency MENA reported. The attack appeared to be the latest by the area's local Islamic State affiliate.





The security officers said the men opened fire on worshipers during prayers while driving in off-road vehicles. A Ministry of Health spokesman said the terrorists set off a bomb during the attack.

"They (the extremists) were shooting at people as they left the mosque," a resident told Reuters.

"They were shooting at the ambulances too," the resident continued.

The victims were reportedly being transported to hospitals to be treated. Security officials told local media ISIS militants were blocking escape routes from the area by blowing up cars and leaving the burning wrecks in the street.

The BBC reported Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi will meet with security forces Friday. Sky News reported the Egyptian Government declared a three day period of mourning following the mosque attack.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

The attack was the largest single targeting of Egyptian civilians and the first on a large mosque congregation since the ISIS affiliate began its campaign of violence against the state following the military's 2013 overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president.

Last month, militants attacked police in the Western Desert, killing 16 officers. Security officials have told journalists that dozens more, including high-ranking counterterrorism officers, perished in the Oct. 20 attack some 84 miles southwest of the capital, Cairo.

This is developing story. Please check back for updates. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

SOURCE
__________________

Regards,

Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Copyright © RGN - Reliable Global News