PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Adverts

SevenSniff
06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
some of the recent adverts are taking it too far...

ive been trying to read the forums, but constantly im getting an advert that is refreshing the page and putting me on random pages like this...

http://www.chinaontv.com/sex_museum/index.html

Phaser
06-24-2009, 02:22 AM
YEP,i'm getting them too..

wakka
06-24-2009, 05:40 AM
I am too.,

but its actually opening new windows whilst im on rgn

But the best way to got rid of adverts perm

is for more people to contribute via donations

I know a lot of us are struggling in the recession.

Mike Nomad
06-24-2009, 06:48 AM
some of the recent adverts are taking it too far...

ive been trying to read the forums, but constantly im getting an advert that is refreshing the page and putting me on random pages like this...

http://www.chinaontv.com/sex_museum/index.html

That's not happening here my friend..... it would appear you and those seeing redirects and added pages have a LOCAL problem. I use BOTH IE8 and Firefox 3.5 and see none of that. The day I do, is the day I find the source and eliminate it.

Further, if you don't like the ads, use a blocker (pop-ups, etc).... We NEED the income to help support the site and its servers in this very tight and still failing worldwide economy.

ps; Please, keep your system's security updated along with your browsers at the latest version.

pps; We can remove both ads if y'all care to supplant said income from the ads via donations and subscriptions... :)

SevenSniff
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
im not gonna fight to have the adverts removed but at least change the company your using that is giving off these ones. it isnt my end because it is happening on two computers one is a fresh install a week ago so VERY un likely it is unclean and my computer runs scans daily with 2 antivirus and an anti malware. plus i prefer not to be using pop-up/ad blockers because most of the time they just screw up the page codding.

I would be a donator but as a community leader my self i have my own bills to pay.

Mike Nomad
06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
im not gonna fight to have the adverts removed but at least change the company your using that is giving off these ones. it isnt my end because it is happening on two computers one is a fresh install a week ago so VERY un likely it is unclean and my computer runs scans daily with 2 antivirus and an anti malware. plus i prefer not to be using pop-up/ad blockers because most of the time they just screw up the page codding.

I would be a donator but as a community leader my self i have my own bills to pay.

The ads stay. We need the $$$. I use the latest Browsers and keep my systems up to date and DO NOT SEE the crap you are complaining about.

Try turning on a pop-up filter in your browser of choice. I'd like to help but since I cannot repro the situation, my hands are "tied".

Is it happening today?? It may have been a quirk experienced by Adbrite.

wakka
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
It only seemed to occur for a short while, probably a bad referer add , its defo gone now,

these things happen

Mike Nomad
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately, yes, they do.

OneShot
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Understand your situation Seven, and it may not be my place to say, though we all have bills to pay. However, even a token amount (say $10.00 US a year which is just 83 cents a month) contributed by only less than half of all the registered users (8,000) here would would equate to over $3,000 a month for RGN. Never think that anything you can spare regardless of the amount will not help keep this service to the community up and running. Again no offense intended my friend, but given today's economic situation and ever increasing expenses associated with keeping a site such as this churning along if the ads help defray Mike's costs and keep RGN up and running, I'm all for it.

zeroy
06-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes the Ads are a pain. Yes they arent pretty. Yes it sucks.

However, as OneShot and before that Mike_Nomad put it, if we are to keep this site and all the help it offers alive, its a must have .... Time are hard for everyone but nothing is free in this life - i so wish some stuff was - Please, if you do acknowledge what we do here at RGN, give something, even a very small amount would go a long way ....

And remember....

"Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle."

Ken Hakuta

[3rdArmy]CW-4
06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Beats me BB1, I've never seen this before and I use Firefox. Try cleaning your cache and see what happens.

SevenSniff
06-28-2009, 04:20 PM
from what i can see its the adverts from snoork.com they show a blank ad with YOUR AD HERE to the right and then waits 1-2min before redirecting to a new page. i have tryed clearing cache, tried firefox IE7 IE8, one 3 different computers in my house, all virus/spyware free.

and as you can see now there is more than one person experiancing it. and like bb1 said. its only on RGN.

OneShot
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Seeing as more than one person is experience this anomaly, appears to be some validity to this problem. I know on the RGN server the other evening someone complained as well. Because only a few are experiencing this issue likely be hard to diagnosis, and I am certainly no expert, but to me it appears to be an issue on client side as opposed to this site. Personally, I have had no issues to date. Very strange.

[3rdArmy]CW-4
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I've never seen a popup or popunder on here. The only popup blocker I'm using is what's built into Firefox.

The only ads I see is the two small box adverts at the top of the page. So something is kicking these things off, but I don't have a clue what it could be.

Juice-WSA
06-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Avast - which updates everytime I boot up... just warned me of a malware violation - it's connection was aborted... An adaware scan just revealed 19 new tracking cookies - now removed.

Seems the adverts are a bit 'aggressive'.

zeroy
06-29-2009, 05:37 AM
I would point the finger on the Adbrite banners, certainly Google Ads dont redirect but the Adbrite ones are known for redirecting to all sorts, lets see what Mike can do.

SevenSniff
06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
i never said they where pop ups, someone just assumed that earlier in the topic, they are redirecting away form RGN and yes, zeroy its the adbrite ads. every time it either loads a working adbrite advert and i have no problems, but then it loads a blank advert with snoork.com being the page. then redirects me after a while.

Mike Nomad
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
i never said they where pop ups, someone just assumed that earlier in the topic, they are redirecting away form RGN and yes, zeroy its the adbrite ads. every time it either loads a working adbrite advert and i have no problems, but then it loads a blank advert with snoork.com being the page. then redirects me after a while.

It does not happen to me..... I use IE8 & Firefox 3.5 I see the blanks every so often but that's as far as it goes.

Dan2k3k4
06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I think some ads might be ip/location based?

So SevenSniff sees some ads because he's in Europe, but people in USA would probably see different ads?

Like for instant, right now the top Ad is for AdBrite, it's just white with a link to some Affordable dental in India, and the other is a link to Earn Unlimited Daily Cash.

The Ad below is from Google, and it links to Visit Cape Cod on the left, and Call of Duty Servers 89c on the right...

Mike Nomad
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Perhaps you can just remove the adbrite service if thats the one causing the issue.

BB1

Its not an issue...... its customized ads for geographic/demographic locations.

Do you care to replace the lost advert dollars? :wink2:

zeroy
06-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Im personally ok here with Chrome, never had a popup.

SevenSniff
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
there are no pop up's, it redirects the page.

DragonFly
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I have never had any probs withe the adds. I do not use a pop-up blocker, other than the buit in in Firefox 3.0.11 . I do not see these probs, at all!
(My location is Ghent, Belgium.)

To all having probs: Make absolutely sure you have a clean system, and that your browsers are up to date!

At the danger of sounding like your mother, but when was the last time you lot cleaned you system, updated it an actually ran the anti-virus & anti malware scan? Do it! Weekly at least !!!

Now why do I say this?
On a 'nearly' day to day base I get questions like this ("unexplaind" pop-ups and such) and NEVER have I found an genuine, honest & well maintaind site, as RGN is, to be the cause. It was always down to either bad computer maintenance or visiting sites that where malicious (often with you-know-what-content).

Take this as frendly advice.

SevenSniff
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
like i stated before, i run an anti-virus anti-malware and anti-spyware. and have been scanning daily this past week because of this problem, my computer is scanned weekly, and it happening on 4 computers in my house and also my friends computer is pulling it away from spyware. also BB1 is getting it, and the chance of both of us suddenly having the same spy ware is very low.

Mike Nomad
06-29-2009, 09:19 PM
like i stated before, i run an anti-virus anti-malware and anti-spyware. and have been scanning daily this past week because of this problem, my computer is scanned weekly, and it happening on 4 computers in my house and also my friends computer is pulling it away from spyware. also BB1 is getting it, and the chance of both of us suddenly having the same spy ware is very low.

Thjerefore it just MIGHT be GEO-Centric displays...

I don't have any of those problems here. None..... Zero..... runs clean

Mr.Ray
06-30-2009, 05:17 AM
I had it happen this morning to me, sent me to a China Sex site of some sort. First and only time that this has happened to me.

wakka
06-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I had it happen this morning to me, sent me to a China Sex site of some sort. First and only time that this has happened to me.

Its an advert for the china sex muesium

just one of a few that comes up

gkwall
06-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Bloody annoying when you're in the middle of reading a post then the page gets hijacked and the back button is disabled.
:mad:

Mike Nomad
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S5DsT0AMAy4/SJjRAUNemII/AAAAAAAAAVU/E9JtjBoScrQ/s400/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I REPEAT.... I am not experiencing *ANY* of this....

It has to be geo-specific or user pref oriented.

I am on this RGN site DAMN NEAR 24/7...

The ADS STAY... until such time as we have enough coming in via donations and subscriptions or, we gain a paid-for banner..

Enough of this haranguing already!!