PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Don't Upgrade to Vista

[3rdArmy]CW-4
01-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Don't Upgrade to Vista, UK Gov't Agency Tells Schools
The cost of upgrading Britain's schools to Vista would be $350 million, two-thirds of which go to deployment costs, testing and hardware upgrades.
Peter Sayer, IDG News Service
Friday, January 11, 2008 7:00 AM PST

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141286/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

Seems like a lot of people are telling MS "no thanks" these days.

Dirtnap
01-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I agree schools should not upgrade it's a waste of resources that could be better spent actually teaching kids how to spell and count. Those two things are a big problem with kid's these days. many employers have spend money just to get kid's up to a standard where they can work that includes graduates.

Schools do not need fast computers, nor the latest sofeware all they need are web browsers (limited), word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint and the odd other little application. All of which can be free from open office and could run on linux machines, thus saving schools 100's of millions of pound's/Dollar's. Why do schools upgrade all there PC's every few years? why the hell does every kid need a PC in every room? answer is they don't it's a massive waste of money and vista would just be another waste of money.

With regards upgrading your own PC I would say do it when you have the cash and ant DX10. If you don't want either don't bother. Personally I run Xp pro on my laptop and Vista 32bit on my PC, and vista 64bit on my work Laptop. To be honest vista has been totally stable since they released some updates and games run great. My stuff loads faster due to superfetch and everything else works fine.

Wizz
01-19-2008, 06:30 AM
What people don't realize is Vista was meant as a band-aid OS. Vista is already obsolete because MS is in fact working on its replacement and should hit the street about 2010 time frame, if not sooner.

This all new OS is based off XP pro and vista, Vista (ME II) was basically a testing OS to see how some thoughts and technology worked. The price tag for vista is ridiculous and no way in hell will I pay it just so I can pull out more hair trying to get things to work properly.

Dirtnap
01-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm lucky I guess Vista only cost me 10 due to a company discount scheme type thing. With regards getting things to work the only problem I had was with an old USB modem, which I don't use now anyway. As for every other piece of software and drivers it was just a matter of downloading vista drivers and all the software worked fine and I have a lot of software.

The 64bit version was the same, all 32bit software is emulated, so to speak, and runs in 32bit only which works fine.

I will say there is little difference really between XP and vista, vista looks a bit prettier and networking is easier to set up, but other than that there is little worth talking about. The only thing I notice is that when you stick in a readyboost memory stick (i use a blank 4Gb sandisk) programs load much faster than on XP. As for memory usage Vista uses 45% of RAM at the most on my system which is almost exactly what XP used, and I could get the RAM usage down a bit more if I turned off the sidebar.

Mike Nomad
01-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Once you've installed XP SP3 it runs rings around Vista in every direction. :d