PDA

View Full Version : Question Dreaded 999 ping

superman
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok,

I originally wasn't going to post this, because I thought I had
fixed the issue with the 999 ping... Now I realize after a month
that the 999 ping comes back in ww2x v1.8a.

In version ww2x v1.7d, the easiest way to stop the 999 pings,
was to remove the smoke from the game...

Well, I tried it with the latest version and now it doesn't matter.

Here is the bug details:

Bug only exists in game when there is 5 minutes left in the game.
Sparodically, players pings will jump all over the place, and when then
after 1 minute of the players pings hopping everywhere, the ping then
goes to 999 and stays at 999 until the next map load.

Bug also only exists if there are more than 15 players on the map at that time.

Player is frozen in game, until the next map load, most players confuse it with being a crash, although, this is NOT the case...

The 999 ping usually exists due to:

1) Excessive fx effects
2) Excessive animation effects
3) Miscoded information in mod (Leading to invisible errors)
4) Too many options turned on
5) Conflicting options turned on in the CFG's.

So, far there is no specific error in the console logs that show a reference to the actual bug.

Although, my theories would be betting on:

1) Sticky Bomb
2) Trip Mines
3) Mortars
4) Statsboard

One of them, most likely is the culprit, well.... thats what I had originally thought at least, now I'm wondering if there is a conflict with in the actual cfg settings, although I have been through them at least a hundred times now, and haven't found anything unusual.

- Head popping/Helmet Popping is turned off
- Rain and thunder is turned off.
- I have no ambient planes or no ambient mortars
- Carryable MG is turned off
- I have lowered the amount of nades and sticky bombs, does not matter how much you lower it.

Basically, I have done almost everything that I can, to limit this bug, although some reports say that the bug typically only exists on very small maps, although, I'm not sure yet, I believe it happens on every map.

If this is currently happening to you, please post here...

Here are any errors that I found in my logs below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******* script runtime error *******
total time must be positive: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mortar_player.gsc', line 317)
shell moveTo(shellTargetPos + (0,0,-100), shellInAir);
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mortar_player.gsc', line 300)
wait(randomFloatRange(1.5, 2.5));
Do I just change that from -100 to 100?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type undefined is not an entity: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 399)
self finishPlayerDamage(eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, psOffsetTime);
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 890)
[[level.wwx_orignalPlayerDamage]](eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, psOffsetTime);
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_utils.gsc', line 1282)
players[i] thread [[level.callbackPlayerDamage]](self, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, undefined, vDir, "none",0);
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_landmines.gsc', line 472)
self ww2x\_wwx_utils::scriptedfxradiusdamage(undefined, undefined, "MOD_EXPLOSIVE", "landmine_mp", 300, 600, 400, "generic", "dirt", true, true, true);
started from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_landmines.gsc', line 466)
wait 0.4;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

undefined is not a field object: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_weapons.gsc', line 160)
if(level.weapons[weaponindex].allow) self dropItem(weapon);
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_weapons.gsc', line 107)
if(currentslot == "primary") if(clipsize1 || reservesize1) self dropItemIfAllowed(weapon1);
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 468)
self maps\mp\gametypes\_weapons::dropWeapon();
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_spawnlogic.gsc', line 759)
[[level.spawnlogic_oldCallbackPlayerKilled]](
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_callbacksetup.gsc', line 69)
[[level.callbackPlayerKilled]](eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vDir, sHitLoc, timeOffset, deathAnimDuration);
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_callbacksetup.gsc', line 66)
CodeCallback_PlayerKilled(eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vDir, sHitLoc, timeOffset, deathAnimDuration)
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 399)
self finishPlayerDamage(eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, psOffsetTime);
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 890)
[[level.wwx_orignalPlayerDamage]](eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, psOffsetTime);
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_callbacksetup.gsc', line 59)
[[level.callbackPlayerDamage]](eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, timeOffset);
started from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_callbacksetup.gsc', line 56)
CodeCallback_PlayerDamage(eInflictor, eAttacker, iDamage, iDFlags, sMeansOfDeath, sWeapon, vPoint, vDir, sHitLoc, timeOffset)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cannot cast undefined to bool: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 703)
if( self.pers["team"] == "spectator" )
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 787)
statusicon = player thread ww2x\_wwx_ranksystem::get_Current_Rank();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 393)
level waittill("VotingComplete");

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cannot cast undefined to string: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 789)
player.statusicon = statusicon;
started from:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc.
07-25-2007, 05:16 PM
redownload 1.8a....the landmines one is fixed ( started from:
wait 0.4;
* )

the votingcomplete ones are harmless, and only occur on mapvoting...and then not even always

the other 2 i never seen before ...nevertheless some changes are made in the weapon gsc files.

PunchyUK
07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
redownload 1.8a....the landmines one is fixed ( started from:
wait 0.4;
* )

the votingcomplete ones are harmless, and only occur on mapvoting...and then not even always

the other 2 i never seen before ...nevertheless some changes are made in the weapon gsc files.

marc are you saying the 1.8a is a different from the 1.8a originally uploaded and needs to be re-downloaded by everyone.

superman
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Marc, thank you for pointing that out,
I RE-Downloaded the v1.8a, and I noticed the changes
in the landmine files and a few more files seemed they were
updated too... I didn't know that the 1.8a had been revised,
so thank you for informing me...

Hopefully, these updates might curb the 999 ping that my clan keeps getting
at the end of the map round...

Now what do I do about this bug:

Can I go ahead and change the -100 to 100?

or is something else that you already fixed?

Thanks so much for the help.

Marc.
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
NEED to be is a big word....but it fixes a landmine problem.....perhaps youve noticed that when one set a tripwire....and someone joins the server....it didnt kill them when they walked over it...it exploded but didnt kill.

this also spitted out error reports in the console log.

that problem has been fixed.

the other changes are very minor.....mostly some little corrections and cleanups....if you hadnt any probs with 1.8 then (other then landmines issue)..its not very neceserry.......but cant hurt

(reason i didnt mention the revised a version is that i revised it only a couple of hours after the initial 1.8a release.....well that will teach me again...you guys are fast......lol)

i must say tho.......this revised version hasnt given me ANY runtime errors whatsoever in the last few days.....NOT ONE.

what it does give me is an occasional runtime WARNING about a possible loop...but thats neglectable.

i run it with landmines, deployable mg's, knives , spec nades and airstrike on TDM 24/7 on a filled server (up to 24).

@superman....i dont know ...i havent had this error...nor was i able to reproduce it (yet)....ofcourse you can try it.....while i keep on trying to reproduce this.

question about this.....i supose you have mortars set for the wmd's ...you get this error all the time when someone calls in mortars?....or is it occasional......and if so....anything particular going on?

superman
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
CTF
Windows Server
Advanced Setup
ww2x 1.8a (v072507)

Marc, with mortars I only get that error once in a blue moon,
usually only once a map round.

However, in regards to the 999 ping bug:

I have updated the latest,
but, I believe that our servers are still getting the 999 ping bug.

This time it is happening throughout the entire map round,
although, it is prevalent at the end of the map round with only 5
minutes remaining.

The only time I have ever seen this occur in the past is
when these features below are turned on:

- Head/helmet popping.
- Weather (Rain, Thunder)
- Ambient (Mortars, Planes.)

Although, I'm sure that this is not what is causing it,
but so far nobody here that is using ww2x is coming forward
to say that they are experiencing the 999 bug.

As I look through my logs, I notice players yell "Lag"
when this error occurs in the log:

cannot cast undefined to string: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 55)
self.statusicon = self thread get_Current_Rank();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 63)
wait 1;

I get about 30 extra pages a night, just for that bug.
Usually in the past, I have just // it out, but now I believe that slashing it out, makes no real difference.

For now, I am watching my server, but there are no other errors occurring except the one(s) I posted above. I will be watching my server tonight, and I will let you know if our server is still experiencing this 999 ping bug, as I am hoping the latest v1.8a update will help with this situation.

I'll let you know.

superman
07-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Ah, the 999 ping bug is now even worse,
unable to get above 14 players using the ww2x v1.8a mod,
I might have to drop down to v1.7.0d for now,
as it did not happen in that version...

The 999 ping bug now happens all the time, and occurs randomly
throughout players,
I might try a few things to see if it might calm it down, but
the bug is invisible and doesn't show up on console error logs.

Happens on every map,
and happens on custom maps.

I have only been able to test it in CTF
under a windows server.

Not really sure what is causing it,
but I am going to have to deactivate each setting 1 by 1
to figure out what it is.

It is definitely something different.

I'll post again, if I figure out anything on my end.

SixGunJustice
07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
For what it is worth, 2 players that join my server continue to get a 999 ping . . . always the same 2 players - even when there is only as few as 4-8 players. When they are not in, all pings are around 40-50 . . . when they are in all pings are at 100-150. They both have a mediocre systems and internet bandwidth . . . I have always chalked it up as something on their end. In fact, I convinced one of those players recently to beef up his system - with a better v-card, upped his ram from 256k to 1GB, changed his bandwidth from 2MB to 10MB download speed, and got a new cable modem - he has not had 999 since . . . . it's been about 3 weeks now.

Not sure if that means anything as I am not an expert on this by any means . . . just my observations and my the conclusion I came up with for my server.

6Gun

Marc.
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
ok, i get sick and tired of this......im gonna play on a ctf test-server all night to reproduce that error..and fix it once and for all darnit....lol

what is real odd tho.....you say it didnt happen on 1.7d while the changes from 1.7d to 1.8a simply can not affect that error....nor additional lag for that matter.....changes made were optional message strings to make it all os compatable...liberation gametype and landmine update...the rest was just code cleanups

but like i said.....im going to nail this one down.

superman
07-27-2007, 03:20 PM
At this time, I'm testing settings
and lowering settings on my server to see if it is causing it.

Such as:

Speed was set to:

set wwx_speed "125"

and Now I've lowered it back down
to :

set wwx_speed "100"

As I feel that might be a culprit, and that certain servers may not be able to handle it.

I have also changed the sticky bombs to fire bombs.
The reason being is that I have 2 major servers, with pretty much the same cfg settings, but the only difference is that the 1rst server uses sticky bombs in replace of smoke nades) the 2nd server uses fire bombs in replace of smoke nades.

Now for some reason the 2nd server with fire nades doesn't produce the same error, from what I can tell at this time.

Now the only files that had been removed from the 1rst and 2nd server is:

a_smoke_grenade.efx

and I changed the line in the weapon files
(projExplosionEffect\fx/props/a_smoke_grenade.efx\)
to
(projExplosionEffect\)

for:

smoke_grenade_american_mp
smoke_grenade_british_mp
smoke_grenade_german_mp
smoke_grenade_russian_mp

In my belief that it would rid the smoke from the game.

I have also removed the smoke lines from the following files:

sticky_explosion.efx

(Their is no smoke code in that file, the only thing left in that file for sticky explosion is: Light, Decal, Particle-fireflash, Particle-Grain, Particle-Rocks, Particle-FirePuff, Particle-Flash, Tail-Sparks)

It was my hope that by removing the smoke code in the sticky explosion

As I stated on the forums previously about my smoke issues on my server:

- excessive smoke 'found' in the:
default_explosion.efx file, this is a default file found in the COD2 actual files. This file has several parts that call for excess smoke, that is hindering the servers, and possibly crashing them. I removed most references in regards to smoke in the file, BUT, I copied this file to the mod directory in:

fx\explosions\

(I then renamed that file to : sticky_explosion.efx; I didn't want to keep the same file name, I was worried about impure errors. Just didn't want to take a chance. I believe I removed anything in that file that called
for smoke.)

Now I did the same with fire nades
as previously quoted on this forum by me:
1) For the fire nades:
- excessive smoke in the:
fx/impacts/molotov_blast.efx file.
(The references made in that file toward smoke, might be causing major lag issues on the servers Although their are two references at the bottom of that file that refer to smoke, but are actually pieces of the fire, and that part appears to be working fine, however the smoke code might be causing major lag.)

Now I wonder, if attempting to get rid of the smoke might be a culprit, as one of the files, that maybe I overlooked is still calling for these codes in each file, but since these codes have been taken out, then they actually could be causing issues.

My attempt is to get rid of smoke, I don't mind seeing the FX boxes in the killcam or in spectate mode, mostly because I feel that as the mod grows, the smoke is becoming more prevalent causing more issues on my server.

So, thats where I am right now, in trying to figure out the 999 bug, I don't believe it is caused by any of the errors found in the console logs.

Now, I have been doing this smoke idea since v1.7d without any problems. But, once I moved to v1.8 and v1.8a, now I am occurring issues with a 999 ping bug... So, I don't think it is caused by removing certain smoke code in this manner...

Although, at this time I am open to any ideas.

I am watching my server all day again to see if the changes
to the speed or changing to the fire nades will have any effect on my first server, and I will let you know...

Sorry you had to look into this issue for me,
I am beginning to wonder, if I am just the person experiencing the issue, which would mean it is because of something that I code as presented above that would be the major culprit...

thanks for your help in this matter.

Marc.
07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
well im happy to say that error you got (38 pages????..wow...but i can see why)....is pinned down and fixed

all i have to do now is finish up testing on other flagbased gametypes and vip..and load up the fix to the mod for download.

i see now why i never had this error....i use the 8 rankicon system myself....while this is 5 rankicons......and the statusicons for the flags (who is carrying the flag) wasnt handled correctly

ill complete the testing and will post again if its uploaded (will be soon) the changes only are in the _wwx_ranksystem.gsc

superman
07-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Thats the best news I've heard all week Marc,
thanks so much for that fix, hopefully that may help with my 999 ping bug issues, not sure until I try your latest fixes that you just mentioned...

Awesome news.

Thanks!

well im happy to say that error you got (38 pages????..wow...but i can see why)....is pinned down and fixed

all i have to do now is finish up testing on other flagbased gametypes and vip..and load up the fix to the mod for download.

i see now why i never had this error....i use the 8 rankicon system myself....while this is 5 rankicons......and the statusicons for the flags (who is carrying the flag) wasnt handled correctly

ill complete the testing and will post again if its uploaded (will be soon) the changes only are in the _wwx_ranksystem.gsc

Marc

Marc.
07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
downloads updated with the fix for the rank-status-error.

changes are only in the _wwx_ranksystem.gsc

pls try it out and let me know the outcome :).....testing shows no errors tho

superman
07-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Ok, Marc, I have updated the files with your fixes,
and I have monitored my server(s) for 2 days
now and...

I have NOT seen the 999 ping bug anymore.

I will be monitoring for the 999 ping again today,
but... I believe you fixed it...

Nicely Done! Thank God, that 999 ping was getting on my
nerves!

Marc, I know that you have heard this before,
but you are awesome, thank you for your continued work on the ww2x.

superman
08-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Ok, soon after I made the above post,
I began slowly realizing that something else was going wrong,
although Marc had fixed the 999 ping bug, which I consider the 999 ping bug, the actual bug that caused players to become frozen at 999 ping for 5 minutes before the end of the game, keep in mind that they didn't receive any connection interruptions.

Seems that the 999 ping bug is gone...

But, now I have a new issue... Connection Interruptions are occurring to random players throughout the map and it can occur at any giving time.

Seems that these connection interruptions raise players pings to around 450 to 800... although, it might freeze players to 999 for only like 10 seconds and then it drops back down to excessively high pings around 450 to 800.

Now, we have been experience odd issues with sprint. Where players complain that as they sprint over hills and stairs, that their gun temporarily disappears as they go over hills and stairs and the sprint no longer works until they are on flat ground, and they have plenty of sprint, and the
wwx_stanceshoot is set to "0".

As this sprint issue occurs, players then suddenly complain after the sprint bugs occur of the Connection Interruptions.

Although, I don't think it is the cause of the main connection interruption, it is most likely just coincidental.

Now I have the following bugs in my logs:

--------------------------------------------------------

cannot cast undefined to string: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 789)
player.statusicon = statusicon;
started from:

* This bug above, has only occurred 3 times in the last
3 days. That is very cool, as it used to occur all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

=========================================

pair 'undefined' and 'spectator' has unmatching types 'undefined' and 'string': (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 707)
called from:
started from:

cannot cast undefined to bool: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 707)
called from:
started from:
=======================================

* This bug occurs all the time, and might be the leading problem of the connection interruptions. I have slashed out the line for 707 and the return variable, as so far no problems, but don't hold me to that, as I haven't fully tested the voting ability on maps yet... so, I'll probably end up unslashing it later...

-------------------------------------------------------------

pair 'undefined' and '0' has unmatching types 'undefined' and 'int': (file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 700)
else if(isDefined(players[i].wwx_statson) && players[i].pers[stat] != 0) valid = true;
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 623)
if(self checkValidStat(self.wwx_showstat)) break;
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 627)
wait 0.05;

*I don't think this is causing the connection interruptions, but this bug occurs quite often, but I believe disabling this line would cause the statsboard to nolonger work. Haven't tried it yet...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

shell moveTo(shellTargetPos + (0,0,-100), shellInAir);
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mortar_player.gsc', line 300)
wait(randomFloatRange(1.5, 2.5));
========================================

*This bug is a pain in the rear, and could be the causing factor of the connection interruptions, as it occurs almost on every map. I changed the -100 to 0, only to find that now the mortars explode above the ground, so it almost is needed to be -100. Although, once I changed it to 0, the bug goes away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

========================================
failed to link entity since parent model 'xmodel/playerbody_british_normandy03' is invalid: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 719)
self.wwx_spinemarker linkto (self, "J_Spine4",(0,0,0),(0,0,0));
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 618)
self ww2x\_wwx_main::wwxpostspawn();
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_clientcontrol.gsc', line 873)
else [[level.spawnplayer]]();
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/_menus.gsc', line 291)
self ww2x\_wwx_clientcontrol::menuSecWeapon(response);
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 709)
wait 0.01;
failed to link entity since parent model 'xmodel/playerbody_british_normandy03' is invalid: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 726)
self.wwx_headmarker linkto (self, "J_Head",(0,50,0),(0,0,0));
called from:
called from:
called from:
started from:
wait 0.01;

failed to link entity since parent model 'xmodel/playerbody_british_normandy03' is invalid: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_main.gsc', line 733)
self.wwx_eyemarker linkto (self, "tag_eye",(0,0,0),(0,0,0));
called from:
called from:
called from:
started from:
wait 0.01;
====================================

*I have never seen a bug like this one... It only happened once in 3 days, and that was after I took the server down for adjustments. This definitely caused one of the connection interruptions.

--------------------------------------------------------