PDA

View Full Version : Pin a nade

superman
07-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Well, my server had experienced massive slow downs due to overly used grenades/sticky bombs...

There were about 20 players on at the time and everyone had 1 nade and 1 sticky bomb, so you can imagine that everyone threw their 1 nade and 1 sticky bomb... This all happened toward the end of the map when over 40 nades/sticky bombs exploded at the same time...

Now, many of the players pings went up to 999 and some of the players that had the 999 pings came back down... So, it is obvious that due to all the massive amount of explosions, that the server was having problems with all that graphical fx...

Now, I'm not reporting this as a bug, because it was much worse before, until I removed all the smoke from the sticky bombs, but I have noticed that sometimes the 999 ping will rear it's ugly head, when there is a massive amount of explosions happening at the same time... although, it is still rare, it does happen...

So, my initial thought:

Is there a way to have it when players have to pull the pin first from the nade or sticky bomb, and then it starts counting down...

See right now, the only delay is I press G or the letter to throw the gernade, that I can hold onto it, and it starts counting, so it acts like it automatically pulls the pin for you...

However, to curb the amount of abuse from the grenades,
I mean an admin could simply just use ranksystem to set the grenades
to only be given at a certain rank, but this doesn't always help, when most of the players are already at those certain ranks, which leads to overly excessive grenades and sticky bombs...

So, to curb the grenade abuse, would it be better to have to do an action first while holding the grenade and then throwing it...

For example:

the player would hold the grenade by selecting it and then
the player would have to first press another button that gets the grenade cooking, and then the player would have to press another button to throw grenade... Now say, the player forgets to pull the pin first, then when the player throws the grenade without pulling the pin, the grenade will NOT explode on the ground, and players can run over the grenade to pick it up, to put it back into their offhand stock...

Now if the player had pulled the pin, and the player doesn't throw it, then it will explode in the players hand, which will kill them.

I believe that might help curb this grenade or sticky bomb abuse, as it is becoming more difficult to not offer grenades to players, especially when the game or server is having problems dealing with overly excessive fire/smoke animation from the explosions.

Anyone have any thoughts to this matter?