PDA

View Full Version : Help-Tut Special Nades Connection Interrupts

superman
06-17-2007, 07:17 PM
1.7.0b
Windows Server
CTF and CTFb Gametypes

Well, I had actually figured out how to cure this bug, although I wanted to post this, so anybody else that is having this issue can be able solve it to.

It seems that if you set special nades (Fire Nades & Sticky Bombs) in the SMOKE offhand slot, that it will periodically crash the server. Infact, many players begin complaining about how the server loses connection with "CONNECTION INTERRUPTION" and after 2 minutes of bouncing around the map, they either lose connection entirely or they find themselves clear on the other side of the map.

This is caused by 2 things:

1) For the fire nades:
- excessive smoke in the:
fx/impacts/molotov_blast.efx file.
(The references made in that file toward smoke, might be causing major lag issues on the servers Although their are two references at the bottom of that file that refer to smoke, but are actually pieces of the fire, and that part appears to be working fine, however the smoke code might be causing major lag.)
For the Sticky Bombs:
- excessive smoke in the:
default_explosion.efx file, this is a default file found in the COD2 actual files. This file has several parts that call for excess smoke, that is hindering the servers, and possibly crashing them. I removed most references in regards to smoke in the file, BUT, I copied this file to the mod directory in:

fx\explosions\

(I then renamed that file to : sticky_explosion.efx; I didn't want to keep the same file name, I was worried about impure errors. Just didn't want to take a chance. I believe I removed anything in that file that called
for smoke.)

2.) The next problem I ran into, when you used the special nades in the smoke offhand setting, that the maps would always smoke up. What was happening is : "As players go to toss the special nade, if they get killed, before the player tosses it, then the special nade will give off Tremendous amounts of smoke from that dead players location, that might cover 1/2 of the actual map." This turned about to a MAJOR problem as it took up to 5 minutes for the smoke to actually clear. This goes for either the firenades or sticky bombs. So, to correct this problem, you need to get the file from the COD2 iwd's, called: 'fx\props\american_smoke_grenade.efx' and to be on the safe side, also get the files: 'american_smoke_grenade_night.efx'; and
'german_smoke_grenade.efx';
then copy these files to the mod directory:

fx\props\

Now open each file... to be on the safe side, I removed all the text in those 3 files, however, I didn't want to leave them blank as I was worried that the original files from the COD2 iwd packs would just override them. So, I entered the code in each file that I copied over to the ww2x fx/props directory:

Particle
{
}
Now, I didn't rename these files, because the special nades are not calling for the efx. The efx is happening by accidental default, when a certain event occurs, that obviously shouldn't occur.

However, by doing this, you would have disabled the actual smoke, which if you ever decide to use smoke nades ever in your game, that the smoke may not show up or it may just crash the server. Not really sure, haven't bothered to test that, as all I care about is getting rid of the smoke at this point, since it is hindering my own server(s) and hundreds of players were getting upset... LOL.

Now, if you still want the smoke nades to produce smoke, say that you have a map that has a storage room of smoke nades, then you will want to copy over the fx\props\american_smoke_grenade.efx' and make sure to rename it something like: \fx\props\a_smoke_grenade.efx. I have left the code in tact at this point for this new file, and then I opened;
- smoke_grenade_american_mp
- smoke_grenade_british_mp
- smoke_grenade_german_mp
- smoke_grenade_russian_mp

at the part of the code where it reads:

projExplosionEffect\fx/props/american_smoke_grenade.efxChange the american_smoke_grenade.efx
to the a_smoke_grenade.efx

The difference at this point is that the american_smoke_grenade.efx in the ww2x mod would have no reference to smoke, overriding the COD2 iwd original files, and the a_smoke_grenade.efx in the ww2x mod, would still have the original smoke code, and SHOULD work with smoke grenades that might be found in a map while playing the game. HOWEVER, I haven't tested this part yet, as my Team really hates smoke, and so I just go rid of that line from the smoke_grenade_TEAM_mp files.

I'm still checking to see if I get any impure client detections because of my method and I will let you know.

Please BACKUP your mod before attempting this, and the only reason you should ever consider doing this, is if you were having the connection interruption issues or if your server is experiencing major lag, as some servers just cant handle the excess stuff.

Hope this helps someone, and I'll post more if I forgot something.

Mod Authors please let me know if I screwed up somewhere...

wolfie
06-17-2007, 08:41 PM
thanks for update superman i was having same problem to with the disconnect.
it was in dm for me

wolfie

superman
06-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, even with this update, my server did crash again,
however, many players commented and said that they no longer lagged
and they no longer had any issues with the (Fire Nades or Sticky bombs)
after taking away the smoke from them.

However, even with this fix, my server still crashed, which makes me wonder if their is something else that is wrong, that is not in regards to the special nades.

I got several errors in the logs, but at the time the server crashed was during an active game, and not at the end of game...

******* script runtime error *******
removed entity is not an entity: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 513)
level.wwx_stdis[i] fadeovertime(1);
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 137)
self endStatsboard();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 504)
wait 0.5;

cannot set field of removed entity: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 514)
level.wwx_stdis[i].alpha = 0;
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 137)
self endStatsboard();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_statsboard.gsc', line 504)
wait 0.5;

That error listed above goes on for about 15 pages.

Then the next error:

cannot cast undefined to bool: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 624)
if(players[i].mv_allowvote && players[i].mv_choice != 0)
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 645)
wait .1;

pair 'undefined' and '10' has unmatching types 'undefined' and 'int': (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 978)
page = int((choice + 9) / 10);
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 632)
if(players[i].mv_flipchoice != 0) isonpage = onPage(players[i].mv_flipchoice);
started from:
wait .1;
pair 'undefined' and '1' has unmatching types 'undefined' and 'int': (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 979)
if(page > maxPages()) page = 1;
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 632)
if(players[i].mv_flipchoice != 0) isonpage = onPage(players[i].mv_flipchoice);
started from:
wait .1;
undefined is not an entity: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 635)
players[i].mv_votes[j] setValue(level.mv_mapcan[(isonpage * 10)-10+j]["votes"]);
started from:
wait .1;

That error goes on for about 30 pages.

Not really sure if this is crashing the server,
but it seems to have started when I set the
map vote restriction to just 10 maps, and not 50 or 55.

I am baffled.

superman
06-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Here are more errors that I found,
added to the previous post:

pair 'undefined' and 'spectator' has unmatching types 'undefined' and 'string': (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 652)
if( self.pers["team"] == "spectator" )
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 786)
statusicon = player thread ww2x\_wwx_ranksystem::get_Current_Rank();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 393)
level waittill("VotingComplete");

cannot cast undefined to bool: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_ranksystem.gsc', line 652)
if( self.pers["team"] == "spectator" )
called from:
(file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 786)
statusicon = player thread ww2x\_wwx_ranksystem::get_Current_Rank();
started from:

cannot cast undefined to string: (file 'maps/mp/gametypes/ctf.gsc', line 788)
player.statusicon = statusicon;
started from:

undefined is not an array, string, or vector: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 930)
if(isDefined(players[i].mv_maps[j]))
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 767)
DeleteHud();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 766)
wait 1;

undefined is not an array, string, or vector: (file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 930)
if(isDefined(players[i].mv_maps[j]))
called from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 767)
DeleteHud();
started from:
(file 'ww2x/_wwx_mapvote.gsc', line 766)
wait 1;

Is anyone else getting these errors?

PunchyUK
06-18-2007, 09:00 AM
The only errors I'm getting are these.

ERROR: xmodel 'wehrmacht_soldier' not found
ERROR: Cannot find xmodel 'wehrmacht_soldier'.
ERROR: xmodel 'airborne' not found
ERROR: Cannot find xmodel 'airborne'.

But they seem not to be causing issues, we are still getting some CI's but can't put them down to anything specific.

Marc.
06-18-2007, 11:56 AM
for the smoke: if above is used then also in _wwx_varcache.gsc at the bottom of the file:

case "_": level.wwx_effect["greysmoke"] = loadFx("fx/props/american_smoke_grenade.efx"); break;

change to:

case "_": level.wwx_effect["greysmoke"] = loadFx("fx/props/a_smoke_grenade.efx"); break;

about the mapvote errors:

http://forums.raidersmerciless.com/showthread.php?t=1372&page=2

last post of mine there

check your logs...it prolly occurs when someone joins your server while mapvote is in progress...at the time i posted the above i updated the mapvote.gsc....no errors since then

easy to test tho....set the voting time to 180....set the gametime to 1 or 2 minutes.....wait till the voteing comes up....leave and rejoin....if you dont have the fixed file you will find those errors going on and on in your log

@ punchy

those model errors are map specific.....custom maps that is....i have them to on some custom maps..3 or 4 of them
on 1 map (hill24) it gives out model errors from the tree models...both are not a mod issue tho..rather a map issue

PunchyUK
06-18-2007, 12:31 PM
@ punchy

those model errors are map specific.....custom maps that is....i have them to on some custom maps..3 or 4 of them
on 1 map (hill24) it gives out model errors from the tree models...both are not a mod issue tho..rather a map issue

In that case then no error's of any sort within the mod:wink1:

superman
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
hmmm, seems the CI's are affecting some other people,
and punchy said that he only noticed those small errors,
which like marc said was from custom maps...

@Punchy what gametype are you running and are
you running a windows server.

I know that the Special Nades are causing some lags,
and thats why I posted the info above in the first post
to this thread, BUT... I don't think it is causing the CI's...

I am a little worried that the CI's are occuring from
the ranksystem.

Although, the CI's just started occuring in 1.7.0b
and as far as I know, the CI's never occured in 1.7.0a.

So whatever changes were done for 1.7.0b,
might be leading to CI's.

Oh, boy... this is like a needle in a haystack,
especially when each person is getting different errors,
but it seems that NO errors are showing up at the
time of the CI's.

@Marc - I will update my mapvote.gsc file, and that
will obviously cure most of my mapvote errors, but
I still have ranksystem errors in my logs, which
could contribute to my CI's. But, I think there is some
similarity that has to exist between all the persons
to determine why these CI's occur.

superman
06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Ok, thanks Marc for pointing out the mapvote.gsc was updated.

As I believe the latest download I received from this website,
may have been 06-08-07.

When I redownloaded the mod from the website, I noticed that
a few files in the ww2x server side, had been updated, which
might resolve the CI issues for me.

_wwx_hud.gsc - 06-09-07
_wwx_main.gsc - 06-09-07
_wwx_mapvote.gsc - 06-10-07

Those 3 files had been updated, AFTER, I dowloaded the previous
1.7.0b on or around 06-08-07.

I know this will sound picky, but if Marc could please make sure to update the POST's in the download areas, to show when new updates/patches were made. As there is AN obvious difference in version updates,
such as 1.7.0a to v1.7.0b; especially referred in the ww2x readme's, HOWEVER, there is no significant way to determine update/patches that may have been made at certain times/dates after the release of a version update.

This may lead to MAJOR problems for certain players, as they may still be using OLD code, regardless that their using the latest VERSION.

There needs to be a way to determine, when updates/patches are made to current versions, either through the post in the download areas, or
in the ww2x readme's. As some of these minor updates in the current version, could solve many CI issues that are mentioned. Many people may not keep up with the latest posts throughout the ww2x area, but at least they would be able to see the latest update/patches in the ww2x download post areas.

I understand that it may be better to not show update/patch dates, as
this currently is throwing off competitors. However, it is making it more difficult for dedicated ww2x server admins to properly download the necessary updated/patched ww2x entire mods, when they need to.

I know that sounds like a gripe, as players can just read the post on
WW2X v1.7 RELEASED thread. As server Admins that download the ww2x mod can learn more from there about recent updates to the v1.7.0b or higher current versions.

But, to make it easier for certain individuals, it may be best, to include a update DATES with the Version Dates in the readme files or in the download posts.

For example (Quoted from readme):

Changes
-----------
1.7:
Added deployable mg30cal and mg42
Added fire, gas and sticky bombs
Added ESD gametype
Added turret overheat function
Changed turret disable function (now can switch on/off turret type)
Scripted map/gametype callvotemenu now handles 180 maps
(Hopefully) better targeting for airstrikes, arty and mortar launches (calling strikes through a window for example now shouldnt drop the flare an the wmd on your own position)
Fixed mobile mg sounds

How about something like:

V 1.7.0b (06/06/2007):
(VERSION UPDATES:)
Added deployable mg30cal and mg42
Added fire, gas and sticky bombs
Added ESD gametype
Added turret overheat function
Changed turret disable function (now can switch on/off turret type)
Scripted map/gametype callvotemenu now handles 180 maps
(Hopefully) better targeting for airstrikes, arty and mortar launches (calling strikes through a window for example now shouldnt drop the flare an the wmd on your own position)
Fixed mobile mg sounds
(PATCH UPDATES:)
06/09/2007 - Updated hud.gsc, main.gsc to correct SOMETHING.
06/10/2007 - Errors fixed in mapvote.gsc

The readme files can also be included in the download post section for ww2x mods.

Please take this advice with a grain of salt... but, if players have current versions, but their missing updates, it makes it harder for MOD AUTHORs
to fix or TRACK these bugs, where server admins are using the correct VERSION, but not the correct updates...

This idea will help make it easier for everyone, AND this will also make the ww2x mod stand out as being the #1 mod that shows PROGRESS by all the udpates that were listed.

I understand that ww2x has competitors, but people are looking for an easier way to mod their servers.

The people are the answer.

Marc.
06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
no it has nothing to do with competitors, just again...as usual reverted back to my ole ways to update "stuff" as i find some ...and just say..."downloads are updated" in a post.

your absolutly right about this...heck i even went against my own rule that from now on if i update the mod ..even if its a small update ..i update the version number from 1.7b to 1.7c....or 1.7b1 for that matter.

ill stick a huge anoying post it on my monitors that says....IF YOU UPDATE THE MOD CHANGE VERSION NUMBERS!!!!...YOU LAZY BUMM

btw...ive updated the mod with part of the smoke sollutions you came up with

this section: 2.) The next problem I ran into, when you used etc.......

ofcourse updated without changing version numbers....as i only saw your post now and realized the lazyness....lol

btw2

hud.gsc ...... added line to destroy the mine icon when going to the mapvote (was still displayed when the mapvoting was in progress...all other instances like on death or spectate it was destroyed tho)

mapvote.gsc ...for the runtime errors when someone connected during mapvote

main.gsc ... 2 level calls

none of these should affect the CI's tho (perhaps the mapvote.gsc..as tons of errors arent written anymore to the logs)......and i dont get those on my pub server either...but ofcourse....keeping my eyes on it

SixGunJustice
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I've also been having lag problems recently,and a couple players have been kicked unexpectedly . . . . my suspision was the special fire nades & all that smoke.

Marc - I use "Server & Client separate setup" - the changes that you made regarding the special nades . . . . can I just replace my server-side iwd? Did you make any changes outside of that file?

6gun

Marc.
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
serverside - _wwx_varcache.gsc

clientside fx/props - a_smoke_grenade.efx
clientside fx/props - american_smoke_grenade.efx
clientside fx/props - american_smoke_grenade_night.efx
clientside fx/props - german_smoke_grenade.efx
clientside weapons/mp - smoke_grenade_american_mp
clientside weapons/mp - smoke_grenade_russian_mp
clientside weapons/mp - smoke_grenade_british_mp
clientside weapons/mp - smoke_grenade_german_mp

the stuff for the sticky's and firenades i left as it was...but for the stickies one could try to remove the fx alltogether in the wepfile....if you remove the fx value (so you have "projExplosionEffect\\ " instead of "projExplosionEffect\fx/explosions/default_explosion.efx\" ) the default effect will be the one like the normal handgrenade

for the fire nades...well this is the best fx i could find for the effect...i supose other less intence fire fx would cause less lag...but the looks of it would be less nice