PDA

View Full Version : Bad News DICE: No home servers for Battlefield 3 on PC

Mike Nomad
08-25-2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.raidersmerciless.com/images/vg24.png

Wed, Aug 24, 2011 | 16:48 BST

DICE: No home servers for Battlefield 3 on PC

DICE’s Mikael Kalms has explained on the EA forums why the company will not allow for the use of home servers with Battlefield 3.

http://images.vg247.com/current//2011/07/20110704battlefield3.jpg

According to Kalms’ post on the game servers (http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1419188-first-look-bf3-pc-game-servers.html), the decision to only allow Ranked Server Provider companies to run a server, is due to the ease of providing support. “The game server machines themselves will be run by a number of Ranked Server Provider (RSP) companies,” he said. “We do not allow other companies to run game servers, or for other people to run game servers from home.

“We try to strike a balance where there are game servers available across the globe, while still keeping the number of RSPs at a level where we can offer reasonable support to each individual company.

Since we prefer to work with larger hosting companies, and we focus on countries where we have a larger player base, there will not be game servers available in every country on the planet.”
The list of RSPs which will run BF3 game servers at launch is not ready yet. Once all is in place, and announcement will be made.

If you follow the link, you will be privy to information regarding Ranked vs Unranked, server administrators, third party anti-cheat organizations and more.

Battlefield 3 is out in October for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

SOURCE (http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/24/dice-no-home-servers-for-battlefield-3-on-pc/)

Kalms & DICE must really believe the world's users are mushrooms. Ease of providing support?? How about Monetization and Control. They keep pouring on the bullshit.

No Sale for this author.

UnYawn
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Monetization and Control[/I]. They keep pouring on the bullshit.

No Sale for this author.

Same here Mike. I listened to a bunch of friends on Teamspeak playing the Beta. It was hilarious to hear how many times I heard, "Oh Balls!" when something wasn't working right, or their GPU Temp shot up over 80 degrees C due to incompatibilities. My response back to them was, "So, how do you like the taste of EA's Balls?"

:fu: EA

Kill-Zone
09-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Same here Mike. I listened to a bunch of friends on Teamspeak playing the Beta. It was hilarious to hear how many times I heard, "Oh Balls!" when something wasn't working right, or their GPU Temp shot up over 80 degrees C due to incompatibilities. My response back to them was, "So, how do you like the taste of EA's Balls?"

:fu: EA

beta played perfect here and what do you expect from a beta that it runs like retail?

RO2 is retail and it got patched also

if you dont like ea then dont buy games of them

Mike Nomad
09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
----- snip -----

Exactly!!

But then, what's your point?? Trying to silence the world's critiques?

:fu: both EA & DICE.

Tally
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I've been playing the beta and had no real problems as such, but when it comes to the gameplay and avatar, all I can say is "it took them 7 years to make this clunky pile of crap"? The avatar movement is like playing with a bag of spanners. Homefront's avatar movement played better than this pile of rubbish. All I can say is thank God for betas. It just saved me a few dollars not buying this pile of crap.

Messiah Complex
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I want to echo Tally's assessment of the avatar movement. It has been my main complaint with the BF series, and I am far from alone in that regard. Yet, DICE has declined to do anything to improve the feel of BF3.

That aggravates me.

BTW: a spanner is a wrench, right?

UnYawn
09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
beta played perfect here and what do you expect from a beta that it runs like retail?

RO2 is retail and it got patched also

I will not even waste my time with the beta for the very reason you point out: I don't like EA, I don't like :fu: they have repeatedly given the PC gaming community, and frankly I decided after 2142 that I would never give them another dime. Have I played BFBC2 and Medal of Honor? Yes I have. Both were given to me unfortunately and I wasted many hours carrot chasing as Mike calls it. I finally sat down after playing RO1 all day, and came to conclusion: Why waste my hard earned money on a game that I get marginal support for, no server files, and no modding and map tools, when I can support a LOCAL company (Tripwire) and thoroughly enjoy what I am playing with phenomenal support. The big boys will need to change their game plan tremendously before I send them another dime.