PDA

View Full Version : POLL Pay to Play MW3 - CoD Elite?

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
AS rumors swirl all around the globe about Call of Duty MW3 - Call of Duty Elite going to be pay to play, we decided to run an informal poll. Just to get a feel for the thoughts of the users.

25TH_suHOhk

Same old -same old.....

VOTE make yourself heard!!

After voting in the poll, please post your reasons for voting as you did. Be informative and respectful please.

Tally
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM
If anyone doesn't actual know exactly what Call of Duty Elite is, see here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-to-bring-monthly-subscription-service-to-multiplayer/

Watch the video, and you will see it's nothing to do with charging a monthly fee to play the game. Its charging an optional fee for plugin servers like Theatre mode, joining clans, Weapons analysis, Map analysis, social networking, etc.

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 08:20 AM
It is NOT pay to play, so the title of this poll is misleading.

This is Call of Duty Elite:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-to-bring-monthly-subscription-service-to-multiplayer/

Watch the video, and you will see it's nothing to do with charging a monthly fee to play the game. Its charging an optional fee for plugin servers like Theatre mode, joining clans, Weapons analysis, Map analysis, etc.

Please...... all roads lead to Rome....

Regardless of what its called, its still pay to play...

Now you can vote or ignore the poll.

Tally
05-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Please...... all roads lead to Rome....

Regardless of what its called, its still pay to play...

Now you can vote or ignore the poll.

Well, if you want to look at it like that, and use semantics to make your case, we've been paying to play ever since online gaming was invented:

You have to pay a monthly ISP broadband bill in order to play;
You have to buy a computer in order to play;
You have to buy the game in order to play.

Seriously, with all sarcasm aside, the term "pay to play" means a subscription in order to play. XBox Live is "pay to play", as you have to pay a monthly subscription in order to play. World of Warcarft is "pay to play" as you can't play unless you pay the monthly subscription.

COD Elite is NOT "pay to play". It is "pay to use". We can carry on playing the game for free for as long as the Master Servers are up. But if you want to take advantage of the additional plugin services like Theatre mode, Weapons analysis, and such like, you have to pay the monthly subscription for it. I can see it being very popular with the PC kids. Personally, none of it interests me. I haven't used the free theatre mode as of yet, nor have I once looked at the leader boards. But for those who are in to all that, let them enjoy.

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
Well, if you want to define it like that, and use semantics to make your case, we've been paying to play ever since online gaming was invented:

You had to pay a monthly ISP broadband bill in order to play;
You had to buy a computer in order to play;
You had to buy the game in order to play.

Seriously, the term "pay to play" means a subscription in order to play. XBox Live is "pay to play", as you have to pay a monthly subscription in order to play. World of Warcarft is "pay to play" as you can't play unless you pay the monthly subscription.

COD Elite is NOT "pay to play". It is "pay to use". We can carry on playing the game for free for as long as the Master Servers are up.

Sure you can go from very beginnings of society.... via taxes, we pay to BREATHE!"You had to buy the game in order to play." - Correctomento!! we all paid to play by making a single purchase! - Not a continual cash outlay in one form or another.
Again, you are playing on wording - the bottom line is still PAY to PLAY.

I asked that folks tell us why they voted as they did - not to fill this topic with a debate about semantics.

Tally, regardless of how you approach the subject it is still pay to play, pay as you go, pay to use, or however they EXTRACT money from you on a regular basis to play the game.

Tally
05-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Sure you can go from very beginnings of society.... via taxes, we pay to BREATHE!

Again, you are playing on wording - the bottom line is still PAY to PLAY.

I asked that folks tell us why they voted as they did - not to fill this topic with a debate about semantics.

Tally, regardless of how you approach the subject it is still pay to play, pay as you go, pay to use, or however they EXTRACT money from you on a regular basis to play the game.

Mike - you know I love and respect you. So hear me when I say - it isn't me that's playing with words. It's you. That's why I pointed out that you can use semantics and make anything involved in getting online to play fit the term "pay to play". But its not what is usually meant by the term "pay to play".

BTW - I would point out that the model of using microtransactions is what all of society is doing at the moment, from the iPhone with its Apps sales, to extra plugins for your TV package like "on Demand" viewing, its all about "extras" on top of your usual flat monthly rate. So what Activision are doing should not surprise us in the least - all they are doing is taking advantage of a business model that everyone else is already using. And if its wrong for them to charge us for extras, then it is wrong for all of them to do it. That would make Apple as guilty of charging for Apps as it is for AVTI to charge for the Elite services.

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Mike - you know I love and respect you. So hear me when I say - it isn't me that's playing with words. It's you. That's why I pointed out that you can use semantics and make anything involved in getting online to play fit the term "pay to play". But its not what is usually meant by the term "pay to play".

Exactly correct. Activision is taking it to the umpteenth degree. Using planned confusion and illusion.

----- snip -----
BTW - I would point out that the model of using microtransactions is what all of society is doing at the moment, from the iPhone with its Apps sales, to extra plugins for your TV package like "on Demand" viewing, its all about "extras" on top of your usual flat monthly rate. ----- snip -----

Yep, you are correct again - Its also called nickle and diming you to death. It gets OLD real fast and eventually, turns people off.

Once all the smoke and mirrors clear - it all boils down to an ongoing PAY to PLAY dealio. Just like WoW. Kotick told us that over a year ago.

Watch and see.....

Didja vote?? :)

vbloke
05-31-2011, 08:56 AM
i voted the no options.
To me this is the pushing FPS games down a road i dont want to go down.
Games are already over priced and short lived - the life expectancy of modern games is less than a year now.
It doesnt seem to encourage modders/mappers - in fact the opposite.
I dont see any benefits for users - it seems only to generate extra income for these developers.
They dont put that money back into development - i bet the marketing budget for a COD title is bigger than the dev budget. Instead they seem to be "cut and pasting" FPS titles.
this seems to be all about profit.

miregrobar
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
i am so done with cod...

Shaldag
05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
(SO disapointing, but NOT UNexpected!)

To me this is the pushing FPS games down a road i dont want to go down.
Games are already over priced and short lived - the life expectancy of modern games is less than a year now.
It doesnt seem to encourage modders/mappers - in fact the opposite.
snip...
They dont put that money back into development - i bet the marketing budget for a COD title is bigger than the dev budget. Instead they seem to be "cut and pasting" FPS titles.
this seems to be all about profit.

Totally agree +10

Wizz
05-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Folks take a hard look at MW2 and BO and see what kind of game we got. It was all a big plan to bring about pay to play. Yes this elite thingy is not making you pay to play in mp but all the other goodies are now and soon will be pay to play.

Again look back and see the progression of it all. See the baby steps that ATVI has taken. Step upon step ATVI has been moving CoD to a service. You just don't jump up one day and make CoD a totally pay to play service, you have to do it in baby steps.

Now depending on how elite does will determine the next step. if it does good then expect totally pay to play service in 2012 Yes that includes pay to play in MP as well aka monthly subscription.

Watch, you all have been hanging around with your heads in the sand about all this for 1 to 2 years now. And now look at where we are at now. This elite service is that one more step. It will determine if ATVI takes 1 more step to pay to play or maybe 2 more steps to pay to play.

Key here folks is baby steps, ATVI is slowly getting you all used to pay to play service in its entirety.

Watch and wait to see what happens. When it does I will say told ya so........

And Tally you are a smart man, please don't ever let whatever is going thru your mind blind you to thinking that pay to play isn't coming. You know deep down that this is just another step toward that pay to play service.

Wizz

[3rdArmy]CW-4
05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Don't think I'll be worried about the "Elite" thingy as I'm most likely not buying COD again. But if I do they can take the Elite and stick it where I get shot the most.

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Wow, notice how everyone missed the fact that all this hullabaloo has taken the focus OFF the anticipated release of the BO "TOOLS"?

:rolleyes: Activision sure is slick.

Wizz
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow, notice how everyone missed the fact that all this hullabaloo has taken the focus OFF the anticipated release of the BO "TOOLS"?

I sure missed that point. Seems ATVI has taken a page from the wall street play book.

Wizz

miregrobar
05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I started to learn Unreal tools, for upcoming Ro2Hos... Sadly CoD is totaly ruined becouse of greed...

[3rdArmy]CW-4
05-31-2011, 07:34 PM

What tools, Mike?

Mike Nomad
05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
CW-4;91304']What tools, Mike?

yeppers!! :wink2:

vbloke
06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
i havent kept up to date with all the recent COD going on.
Am i to take it that they release a game - promised tools - and now a few months before the next tittle they havent yet released the tools?

omg. lets see them "market" their way out of that one... oh they did already.
grrr

Mike Nomad
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Its all about profits - regardless of who might be victimized.

Activision has no conscience.

Wizz
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Cch3VKbM0Gw

OneShot
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I think the promo video says it all when the narrators mother says "PJ come down stairs and did you feed the cat." Clearly they are marketing towards their corp clientele, kiddies!!! But I have to admit news of the video recorder and the "double rainbow perk" are the bomb! NOT!!!!

Mike Nomad
06-12-2011, 09:04 AM
The sad part is there are many who READ these forums and fail to make themselves heard. Maybe they're deathly afraid of being pilloried by their peers for reading and posting here, in RGN. wimps!

Voting in a POLL is a sure fire method of being heard.

The complacency in the FPS gaming world is amazing...

Vote!! Make yourself be heard!

:Outstanding!:

Kill-Zone
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
they make this elite to see how much people will pay for extra things, if thats enough then the next cod will have more of this, its just a step to pay to play mark my words.

Wizz
08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
-- snip --

COD Elite is NOT "pay to play". It is "pay to use".

-- snip --

Not trying to knock you Tally but lets be honest here.

If you have player A who is NOT doing the elite and then have player B who IS buying elite who do you think is going to win.

If I would go out and get elite and buy everything they had I would just totally romp all over the noobs who AIN'T buying elite.

I would have the best weapons, skins and all the other goodies while the poor sap noob or player who ain't going to buy into elite will just get his ass owned.

Sorry but its a back door sly way of making CoD pay to play. You want to be on a even playing field then fork out the cash for the elite service. If you pay for the elite service then you too can have the best weapons, skins and the other goodies.

Wizz

Tally
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Not trying to knock you Tally but lets be honest here.

If you have player A who is NOT doing the elite and then have player B who IS buying elite who do you think is going to win.

If I would go out and get elite and buy everything they had I would just totally romp all over the noobs who AIN'T buying elite.

I would have the best weapons, skins and all the other goodies while the poor sap noob or player who ain't going to buy into elite will just get his ass owned.

Sorry but its a back door sly way of making CoD pay to play. You want to be on a even playing field then fork out the cash for the elite service. If you pay for the elite service then you too can have the best weapons, skins and the other goodies.

Wizz

They have made it clear that there is nothing, and will be nothing, which you can buy from Elite which will ever give any player an advantage over someone who chooses not to buy anything from it. In other words, no weapons, attachments, or otherwise which would give them an unfair advantage. Stuff like camos or skins will not give anyone an advantage (they are just decoration - nothing more), and I haven't heard them say such stuff will be available from the Premium Elite Service, but even if they were, they are welcome to them. Who cares about such things other than the kids?