PDA

View Full Version : In game vote/gametype change crash

RaDioAcTivE
06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
We seem to be having an issue with mainly one particular map when a clan member calls a vote to change the gametype. On Salerno Beachhead if someone tries to change to a gametype that the map won't support it's crashing the server. The problem is that it only shuts down the game so the console stays up and running and the server won't auto restart.

So far it's just this one map that I've noticed it on. Is there a file missing or some way of making the server simply skip the map and gametype change if the gametype isn't compatible with the custom map that's being called up?

RaDioAcTivE
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
It seems that if any map is running and someone uses the in game WW2X gametype vote system and the map doesn't support the game it's crashing the server instead of going on to the next map in the rotation.

Is there any way around this issue or is this an error that shouldn't be happening?

Marc.
06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
i assume you mean the 180 map callvote system

the 50 mapvote system shouldnt be able to do this...as it picks from the maprotation.....and noone sets or should set a rotation with maps that dont support the gametype thats been called

the 180 one however doesnt have this function..it simply displays all the maps on the server...perhaps Ned and oddball will develop this further..if it can be done.

for now a "solution" would be to add the supported gametypes as text behind the map name in the ini file

RaDioAcTivE
06-07-2007, 09:04 PM
That'll work just fine since it's clan only that's allowed to use the in game.

I guess they could use the COD2 built in gametype for the basics as well since it only shows the maps that are compatible for the gametype in the list.

I assume since this function is already built in that one of you wonder boys can adapt it for the 180 map/gametype system at some point. Or you could go to the park and watch the trees grow like normal people. :wink2:

Marc.
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
IF you use the server and client setup....2 iwd files ..and dont unpack the serverside.....AND copy all the custom map arena files.....edit them (add the custom gametypes....look closly if its supported) and put it in the mp folder of the clientside (allong with the cod2.arena file) you prolly can see all the gametypes and maps supporting ....in the normal callvote system.....btw this is in 1.7 only...but very easely made for 1.6.3

nedgerblansky
06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
May I make a few "wonder boy" comments ? :wink2:

it's crashing the server instead of going on to the next map in the rotation
Yep, that's COD2 default logic.
Or should we call that "POS2" logic ?

perhaps Ned and oddball will develop this further..if it can be done
Nope.
The ingame voting system is nothing more than a user interface to the callvote command. It brings all the gametypes and maps names from the server to the client.
The standard vote system is flawed by design, because it shows the maps that are available on the client, NOT the ones from the server.
The new system basically switches the "client" view to the "server" view.

I assume since this function is already built in that one of you wonder boys can adapt it for the 180 map/gametype system at some point.
Nope.
This is completely harcoded.
The standard voting menu gets the gametypes and maps list through a harcoded function.

IF you use the server and client setup....2 iwd files ..and dont unpack the serverside.....AND copy all the custom map arena files.....edit them (add the custom gametypes....look closly if its supported) and put it in the mp folder of the clientside (allong with the cod2.arena file) you prolly can see all the gametypes and maps supporting ....in the normal callvote system.....btw this is in 1.7 only...but very easely made for 1.6.3
Yep, should work.
BUT the standard voting function cannot display more than 5 gametypes.
Why ? because there are only 5 standard gametypes.
Maybe COD2 developers didn't imagine that modders would create custom gametypes ?? duh...

Is there any way around this issue or is this an error that shouldn't be happening?
There is.
In AWE we introduced a "fallback gametype/map".
Whenever an incompatibility is detected, the server fires this gametype and map instead of staying semi-dead.

I smell another AWE feature that will make its way into WW2X...
At times, I have the feeling we're working for WW2X, not for AWE... :confused:

RaDioAcTivE
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
LOL!!! wonder boy!!!

I belive without a doubt you qualify for that title ned! Thanks for the information. If it wasn't for you guys I would have given up on POS2 a long long time ago. The mods are the only thing that makes the game any fun.

If Airborne is worthy of the hard work it'd be cool to see you guys pool your tallents together for one kick arse mod. Or some other new title for that matter.

May I make a few "wonder boy" comments ? :wink2:

Yep, that's COD2 default logic.
Or should we call that "POS2" logic ?

Nope.
The ingame voting system is nothing more than a user interface to the callvote command. It brings all the gametypes and maps names from the server to the client.
The standard vote system is flawed by design, because it shows the maps that are available on the client, NOT the ones from the server.
The new system basically switches the "client" view to the "server" view.

Nope.
This is completely harcoded.
The standard voting menu gets the gametypes and maps list through a harcoded function.

Yep, should work.
BUT the standard voting function cannot display more than 5 gametypes.
Why ? because there are only 5 standard gametypes.
Maybe COD2 developers didn't imagine that modders would create custom gametypes ?? duh...

There is.
In AWE we introduced a "fallback gametype/map".
Whenever an incompatibility is detected, the server fires this gametype and map instead of staying semi-dead.

I smell another AWE feature that will make its way into WW2X...
At times, I have the feeling we're working for WW2X, not for AWE... :confused: