PDA

View Full Version : Throwable Knives

Marc.
03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Just a short headsup on this request/feature

got it to work finally, and it does register a kill, and shows a nice knife icon in the who killed who messages (stock)

used a smokenade weaponfile for it

in principle i could do:
leave the old as it is now and add the trowables as a replacement (dvar controlable) for smokes..so you have both

or as a prim/sec weapon plus any combo of above..or a prim/sec wep only
that is if i can make it a prim/sec weapon...currently in the process of making it so

since the drm implement we dont longer have issues with dvar limits....so im thinking all combinations thinkable...lol.....set it as you want

only real big issue i got at the moment with the knives is the stoopid explosion sound and fx it gives when i actually hit someone with a knive...altho i deleted the fx/sounds in the wep file it still does that.....o well...ill work around it eventually

in short...im making good progress now

btw..anyone used/uses admiral mod?...coz i installed it to see how it handled the knives...but i couldnt see a knife in my hand...only a small one flying in the air after i threw it...is that how its suposed to be?...in that case..mine looks sweeter....lol

richman
03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
btw..anyone used/uses admiral mod?...coz i installed it to see how it handled the knives...but i couldnt see a knife in my hand...only a small one flying in the air after i threw it...is that how its suposed to be?...in that case..mine looks sweeter....lol

I could reload this and check it out. Might not be until this weekend. I'll see if I can make some screenies too.

thanks 4 ur efforts Marc.

SixGunJustice
03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
My opinion is that the more dvar controlable options there are, the better, although my preference would be replacing the pistol with the knife as it is now - a knife that you can slice with using the shoot key (instead of the melee key) or throw.

In any case, I look forward to what you come up with and also salute your many hours of hard work.:wink1:

6gun

richman
03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok loaded up the Admiral mod. Using the player class system. You are given the picture weapons for the classes. Choose to be a spy (the only way to get the knife) and it listed a pistol and knife.

Once spawned all you see or able to "select" is the pistol. If you use the melee, remember you are holding a pistol at this time, then you'll toss a knife. You breifly see (maybe a 1/2 sec.) the knife appear where your cross-hairs are. A sound is produced similar to a smoke can (a little more tinny sound) and the knife lands on the ground then dissapears. I was in my server alone and could not tell if a sound is produced if you hit someone.

The graphics are poor at best. You don't view yourself running around with a knife at all.

MHO, You will have knife noobs and limiting should be enabled.

G/L

RaDioAcTivE
03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
We use a sort of a hopped up pistol that with custom changes shoots 3 round like a small shotgun and has a one shot one kill damage setting in order to get people to play with them more. I'd like to see the options of pistols and knifes and not either or if possible.

Marc.
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
as it stands now the only way to get a good throwable knife is to use the grenade slot...meaning.if you enable knives you have no smokegrenades...coz it takes up the smokenade slot...still ofcourse have prim and secundary wep and pistols.

i have tho...got it to work with nades, smokenades, and 2 guns (no pistol)...but the throwing part is poor.....but then...perhaps a lot of tweaking here and there will give me what i want...hopefully just a matter of endless trying different settings.

update: poor throwing part....way better now

superman
03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Once you get this figured out, you may want to consider a configurable setting in the CFG, that allows a server admin to choose whether or not they want to use knives or smokenades. Since, knives would replace a slot, I am positive that some server players might freak out if they didn't have the option to choose in the cfg files whether or not they can use knives or smokenades.

Although, you might want to consider to create weapon classes.

Such as a server admin can choose whether a shot gun can get 3 knives, a rifle can get 2 smokenades. When players have certain weapons, then they can only have either the knives or smokenades, they can only pick up the offhand knive/smokenade, depending on the weapon they currently have in their hand. This could work great for secondary weaponary. Your first weapon could have knives in your offhand supply and your secondary weapon could switch to have smokenades depending on the weapon.

Hope that makes sense.

Marc.
03-25-2007, 06:35 PM
UPDATE:

So far, (and I think thats it for now) I've got throwable knives that can be used as:

1: replacement of pistols.
2: replacements of smoke grenades.
3: primary and/or secondary main weapon.

Or any combination of the 3 above.

Also created a knives only menu.

All options work with the ammo/wep limiters, ranksystem etc.

Only grief at this moment is that I can swap the knife for another weapon.. but I can not swap back again to a knife, but if I can't fix that... I dont really mind, its just a minor issue in my opinion.

I'll look at it a bit further, but release shouldn't be long now.

Marc.
03-26-2007, 06:10 PM
1.6.1 released :)

Marc.
03-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Also per requested made a standalone version for stock cod2

can replace pistols with knives
can use as a main primary weapon
ofcourse all throwable

U-z-i Kidding
03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Nice one Marc 8)

I have just been playing around with it, great fun standing in front of a tree and knifing yourself on the rebound lol.

superman
04-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Any thoughts of adding the ability to carry dueling knives,
such as one knife in the left hand and the other knife in the right hand.

Then when you throw them, both knives get thrown from each hand,
either intermittently or at the same time?

Marc.
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM
cod2 is lacking code and animations for 2 handed combat....as far as i know that is.....you always see a gun or rifle or any weapon in a persons right hand....i dont think this would be possible.....but ive been proven wrong before